Monday, June 30, 2008

Good news and somewhat good news


First off, the good news. I finished putting my bookshelf together and stained. My office is almost finished getting clean, well at least good enough for a picture. I'm still missing a good number of books on it. But anyways, it is 6 by 4 by 1, for someone who doesn't like to read it is big enough. Not to mention that Arica has her own book shelf in her room for all of her books.
I think she has finally starting to understand what the word "no" means. She hears it an awful lot. But considering that she is almost 9 months, she follows directions pretty good, except for the stairs. The stairs are her favorite new thing. She was taking a nap earlier this afternoon and Johnathan went outside to work in the garden and came to check on her every couple of minutes. She wasn't there. She moved the gate from the bottom of the stairs and climbed all the way up(23). Arica was just perfectly content playing by herself in the office.
On the somewhat good news ( I think), I had my follow-up doctor's appointment today for my back. Well, after a couple of weeks in physical therapy and a couple of weeks with a heel lift, the doc told me that he doesn't know what is wrong. So he is referring my to Portsmouth Hospital (the major hospital in the area) for possible injections. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. The injections might make the pain go away, but it doesn't solve the problem. I would rather know what is wrong and fix it the correct way. Drugs can only go so far.
From my knowledge the people who I know with back pain and are getting injections are all on their way out the door or have already been processed out. I'm not sure if getting out is the right thing to do. I really don't know if I want to go back to sea duty and leave Arica here, but I have a guaranty of a job, unlike the outside market. Yeah, I could possibly still be getting my pay check, but in a way it doesn't seem fair.
I have a long way to go before all of this happens, so there is no point in worrying myself with it now. I have enough things I'm stressed about that their is no reason for it. Besides, I can't do anything about it, so I'm going to leave it in God's hands. He has the plan, not me.

3 comments:

Becki said...

I think you need a better gate...and maybe field trips to the garden for sleeping toddlers. (I think we can call Arica a toddler now if she's that mobile.) It's a good thing they are sending you to an outside hospital. No hospital is going to start injections without first looking into it themselves. That would be like (insert baby other than Arica) swing dancing before he/she started crawling. You should ask about seeing a DO or chiropractor too when you have an appointment there. Sorry, still working on getting through your medical record yet. School's been busy.

Tabitha said...

Portsmouth is the Naval Hospital. It is scary that the biggest and best hospital in the area is a Naval one. What is a DO? Take your time going through my record. I know that you are very busy (who's life isn't). I'm hoping that they will look over my record first, but no telling with them. Yes, I know that we need a better gate. The outdoors is her favorite spot except when it is time to sleep in a tent. Bad experience there. We are going to try it again this coming long weekend. Do you have a long weekend?

Becki said...

he, he, your funny. I have a long WORK and STUDY weekend. It's fine though. I knew what I was getting into and I've played a little bit this last week too. DO is doctor of osteopathy, they have very similar training to MD allopathic doctors but differ in there approach. Actually any DO can go and do a normal MD residency. MD doctors are trained looking at symptoms and patterns in a population not at whole individual patient. DOs one the other hand look at the entire patient and how systems can be interconnected and then the goal is to help the body heal itself since that's what God made it to do anyway. This means DOs are also trained hands-on for chiropratic type manipulations and then some more muscle and fascia stuff. There's ups and downs with both. However I think if you're having anything chronic muscloskeletal you need to see a DO. My personal doctor is a DO, I have no need of another one. And he's the one that finally fixed my 6 year run of frequent migraines that no one else could.